Evidence tells us that Long Covid symptoms differ from person to person. Therefore an individual medical and physical assessment is beneficial to ensure that targeted and safe rehabilitation is tailored specifically to you. This enables us to focus exclusively on recovery for you. Long Covid may also have affected your mood and our assessments will include the availability of a Clinical Psychologist DR MEGAN KENDALL to address any symptoms of anxiety or depression.
Treatment to improve breathlessness, fatigue and lack of stamina will be planned after careful assessment, as the lasting effect of the initial infection may not only have an impact on the lungs, but also on the heart – affecting the levels of your physical fitness.
BWT Physio in partnership with CARDIAC CONSULTANT DR. CHRIS CRITOPH have developed a highly specialist rehabilitation programme for Long Covid recovery.
If you are interested in this rehabilitation programme, then please answer the questions on the contact form, as this will give an indication if you may benefit from a heart assessment.
Dr Critoph’s secretary will contact you if you have answered yes to any of the questions to then discuss your requirements with you over the phone. If there are no cardiac issues the BWT specialist Physiotherapist will call you.
DO I HAVE LONG COVID?
The National Institute of Clinical Excellence (NICE) December 202 define the stages of Covid – 19 infection as:
- Acute COVID-19: signs and symptoms of COVID-19 for up to 4 weeks.
- Ongoing symptomatic COVID-19: signs and symptoms of COVID-19 from 4 to 12 weeks.
- Post-COVID-19 syndrome: signs and symptoms that develop during or after an infection consistent with COVID-19, continue for more than 12 weeks and are not explained by an alternative diagnosis.
In addition to the clinical case definitions above, ‘Long COVID’ is commonly used to describe signs and symptoms that continue or develop after acute COVID‑19. It includes both ongoing symptomatic COVID‑19 and post‑COVID‑19 syndrome.
For many people the infection resolves within a 12 week period but for those who continue to experience a wide range of symptoms guidelines are in place to monitor and assist recovery.
WOULD I BENEFIT FROM THIS REHABILITATION PROGRAMME?
Anyone who has tested positive for COVID-19 but is struggling to get back to normal after 12 weeks into recovery – whether you were admitted to a hospital ward, an intensive care unit or have recovered at home.
WHAT IS INVOLVED IN THE PHYSIO PROGRAMME?
You will be given a face to face appointment with a specialist physiotherapist who will fully examine your musculo – skeletal system followed by a fitness screening with a finger pulse oximeter to measure blood oxygen levels.
You will then be offered a range of rehabilitation packages depending on your needs :
- A home programme of progressive exercise, printed and given to you to carry out unsupervised at home with regular reviews with the Physiotherapist
- Regular one to one sessions in the clinic with an exercise rehabilitation therapist
- Pacing is key to your recovery and will be explained and incorporated into every aspect of your rehabilitation programme.
A SUPERVISED GYM PROGRAMME:
- As you recover it you may take advantage of a session at the West Hants Gym with a Physiotherapist to instruct you with a bespoke gym programme. One month free membership is then available to attend the West Hants gym unsupervised, or we can liaise with a gym local to you.
- Personal training sessions in the gym at West Hants under guidance of the physiotherapist can also be arranged.
BWT Physio will take a holistic view of your recovery and are able to offer unique skills to co-ordinate individualised rehabilitation plans. This not only involves the programme outlined above but could also include a whole person review of this multisystem syndrome with other medical colleagues such as a Clinical Psychologist who can work with you on any impact Long Covid has made to your mental well being. This can include symptoms of anxiety, depression and ‘brain fog’.
WHY IS A CARDIOLOGIST INVOLVED?
Because the heart can be involved in COVID -19 syndrome it is important to determine the cause of any cardiac symptoms before starting a rehabilitation programme – WHETHER OR NOT YOU HAD A CARDIAC PROBLEM DIAGNOSED PRIOR TO CONTRACTING COVID -19.
Dr Chris Critoph can offer A full CARDIAC ASSESSMENT if you answer YES to any of the questions on the form below.